Sunday, June 15, 2014

You & Me - Scrapbook Steals Daisy #8 Sketch

 
I really LOVE this week's Mid Week Mojo from Scrapbook Steals (click here to be linked to the blog post for more details) because it was a great way to incorporate project life cards.  I have had the Plus One mini kit for a while and was so happy to finally use some of it.  I used the June 2014 scrapbook kit from Cocoa Daisy and the Plus One kit and there are also a lot of random things from my stash included as well.
 This color scheme really makes me happy.  I toyed with some different ideas for filling in the bottom left of the layout but really didn't come up with anything that worked in a way that I liked so in the end I left it empty.  I really like the color balance the two cards on the right add to the all of the white on the left.  The two large strips of paper on the layout are two sides of the same exclusive design in this kit.  I bought extra because of how much I loved this paper which is starting to become a trend.  Their exclusive designs are just getting better and better.  I double matted the 4x6 photo on a black piece of paper (one side is black and the other is a design that I don't care for from Fancy Pants) and then on white.  The black alone was too much with the 'love' card.  I had planned to mat it on the same Surf cardstock from American Crafts that the background was matted on, but I didn't like how you lost a bit of it with the gap between the papers.  It looked really odd.

 This set of Thickers from the Amy Tangerine Plus One collection came in the kit (but I had it in my stash already after finding it marked down from 3.99 to 1.99 at Pebbles in My Pocket in Orem a few weeks ago...I also got the white pack) and I love how the 'y' is really long and allows 'me to nestle in beside it so well.  I overlapped it with the photo and placed it on one of the 3x4 cards in the mini kit (I've used the 12x12 version of this paper down to just about nothing...it came in another Cocoa Daisy kit) to anchor it.  I liked this look better than the simple strip of paper that was in the sketch.

 This is probably my favorite stamp EVER.  It's called Snapshot (I think) and it's from Stampin' Up.  It was one of the first things I put on my list when I was working on my order from the new catalog and I just love it.  The scalloped piece is from October Afternoon Daily Flash, the enamel dots are from various packs all from Basic Grey and the 'love' banner is from the Pink Paislee Hello Sunshine puffy sticker pack.  None of these pieces were from the kit and the camera was stamped in 'Not Quite Navy' from Stampin' Up.

I used a lot of teal in this cluster which is not something I typically do, but I am really happy with how it turned out.  I used a Valentine's Day date stamp from American Crafts for the date and 'Not Quite Navy' which is a retired ink from Stampin' Up.  It matches the blue in the heart paper almost exactly.

 The triangles are puffy stickers from Heidi Swapp's My Favorite Things, the flair is a design of mine, and the 'love' stamp is from the stamp set in the kit.  My favorite part about the stamp set this month is the sheer number of stamps that you get.  I'm not sure if this is the first month that Cocoa Daisy has used a guest designer, but I really like the stamps.  I didn't pick up any extras although I was very tempted.  With my big Stampin' Up order, I tried to avoid getting more.  I used the Bermuda Bay marker that I got on the clearance rack on the same SU order as the camera stamp for the journaling.

 I used several of the same elements here that were already used in other areas of the layout, but I did add a puffy heart (same sheet the triangles came from) between a couple of the houses on the Project Life card.  This camera was stamped using Bermuda Bay ink.

I don't think photos do the colors in this layout justice AT ALL.  This looks a thousand times better in person than it does in photographs even though it looks really nice in these still shots, too.  I am very pleased with how this layout came together, even if it did require me to dig into my stash quite a bit.  Much of this month's kit follows a very bright color scheme with many of the embellishments using those colors (all of the buttons and ribbon included were pink, for example) but I really wanted to showcase this paper since it was one of the first ones my eye was drawn to at reveal.  What are your thoughts on Cocoa Daisy's exclusive papers?  Do you agree that they are getting better or not?  If you have this kit, what is your favorite part of it?  This exclusive heart/geometric paper is definitely mine!

Thanks for stopping by!!

Denise


****Edit to the above:  Apparently, I lucked out and was informed by an online crafty friend of mind (thanks Michele!!) that I somehow managed to meet some requirements for another challenge without even trying to.  The blog is called Scrap Our Stash and this month the requirements are to make a monochromatic layout (black, white and kraft can be used in addition to a color of your choosing) and 5 different embellishments.  If you want to know the specif rules, please check out the blog post here so you can enter.  The challenge is running through June 29th so you have PLENTY of time to enter!!

I'm not sure if I have more than 5 embellishment types, but I'll list what comes to me here:

1. Washi
2. Flair
3. Die Cuts
4. DIY Die Cut (the cameras were stamped and fussy cut out)
5. Epoxy Stickers
6. Enamel Dots
7. Chipboard Stickers
8. Puffy Stickers
9. Stamping

I think that's everything, but I want to make sure I have all my bases covered just in case all stickers get lumped together even though they are different. 

8 comments:

  1. Great job with the sketch! Love the papers and the embellies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG what an awesome page and fabulous photo. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful page with us at Scrap Our Stash. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome page and great job on the challenge! Thanks for playing with us at Scrap Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great layout and take on the challenge! Thanks for playing along at Scrap Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great page! Love the paper/color combination! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrap Our Stash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice layout! Great job on challenge! Thank for playing along with Scrap Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome color!! Thanks for playing along with SOS!
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome monochromatic layout. Great job! Love all the elements. Thank you for joining us at Scrap Our Stash.

    ReplyDelete