Tuesday, June 17, 2014

This Is Brotherly Love - ACOT/Page Maps Sketch Challenge #69

 This is the current sketch for A Cherry On Top's bi-weekly sketch challenge.  You can see it over on the message boards of their site.  It is due tonight by 9pm PDT.  I will be honest that I was thrown (as I always am) by the tags and banners so I ended up taking quite a few creative liberties to make the sketch work for me a bit better.  My photo was larger and threw off the balance which was the primary reason I had to modify the design a bit.  I'm not sure I love the result as much as my last layout (both used the June Cocoa Daisy Scrapbook kit) but I am still happy with it.

 I didn't embellish too much because I felt like the paper strips gave the interest the layout needed.  After staring at the nearly completed layout last night, my first change was adding the black cardstock to frame the background.  The bright colors needed that grounding element.  My next change was moving the teal mat over (WRMK paper is not forgiving...a lot of the paper pulled up when I was trying to move it, which gave the black cardstock a second purpose).

 I initially tried to follow the sketch's design of the title being on the bottom half of this element, but it really didn't work for me so I made my title longer.  The black thickers came with my kit, but I had the white ones and used those here instead.  I also wanted a bit more interest here because I knew this would end up being one of the focal areas of the layout so I added a couple of strips of washi (both of them are two strips layered together to keep the color from being dulled down by the black underneath them).  One element that I was shocked that I liked was the butterfly.  I received two in my kit and didn't think I'd use them, but I lucked out twice (the Sn@p alphas were a single sheet from the 8 pack so everyone's color varied) and got colors that I would actually use.  Since there were a lot of pink embellishments that I know I am unlikely to use I am pleased that the partials were in colors that I liked.  I had just enough reach on my tiny attacher to staple the butterfly into place.  The 'favorite' sticker from MAMBI was tucked slightly under the butterfly wing just to emphasize it being a transparency.

 I think I like the butterfly in this cluster even better because of the date being stamped underneath it.  Because of the colors, there isn't the slightest bit of readability problems layering the butterfly over the date.  This butterfly was moved a bit further to the left in order to allow my tiny attacher to reach the center.  I tucked a second MAMBI sticker under the wing of this butterfly and got away with tucking it a bit further under the wing because of the black.  Both clusters also have two layered hearts.  The dark grey chipboard heart is from Studio Calico Essentials and the green puffy stickers is from Heidi Swapp's My Favorite Things.  The journaling card is another one from the Amy Tangerine Plus One mini kit.  I had to go through nearly every card before finding one that was orange on the outside.  I knew I wanted orange, but the first one that I grabbed was all white except for the word 'happy' on the top.  The second card was completely orange but it was horizontal.  I let out the biggest sigh of relief when I found this one, it was exactly what I was looking for!

I'm sure I could have embellished a lot more on this layout but I don't usually work with these bright almost neon colors and I think the colors themselves give enough impact that heavy embellishing was completely unnecessary.  One thing's for certain, this layout and any others I manage to complete with this kit will definitely stand out in my albums since the color scheme was way out of my comfort zone.

Thanks for stopping by!

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment