Monday, June 23, 2014

Sweet Dreams - Scrapbook Steals Daisy #9

 
Check out this week's Scrapbook Steals sketch here.  They are already up to #9 in the series, I can't believe there is only one week left.  I even did something that I don't typically do...stop in the middle of another project to get this one done.  After wrapping up weeks 11 and 12 of my project life album, I decided to immediately start on weeks 13 and 14.  I had a ton of photos that were rather difficult to sort (many needed to be next to each other because they were from the same day) in a way that I liked which made it so I was unable to finish prior to needing to work on this page...but I'm okay with that.  My desk was getting rather cluttered up anyway and the clean up gave me a lot more breathing room.  Once again, I took many liberties with the sketch as I'm not a big fan of tilted photos.

Several of the past 6 months worth of kits from Cocoa Daisy have included off white, which isn't a base I work well with.  I am continuing to challenge myself to use more of them because, well, I paid for it and it is also nice to get better at working with colors that I typically struggle with. This layout was made using the May 2014 scrapbook kit and I also pulled out one card from the DITL cards that I bought as an add-on.  I'm quite happy with how the layout turned out even though the ampersand at the bottom really threw me.  I would have just left it off altogether, but several papers meet up in that corner and needed something to cover them up.  I toyed with the idea of using a flair leftover from my weeks 11 and 12 project life spread but I didn't particularly like how they layered (they were both ampersands of the same font) so I just left it as a singular element.  I like my embellishments to be relevant so this one just floating out there not really standing for anything is a new one for me.  I kept the embellishing rather simplistic and I like the result.

 I used some chipboard alphas (very similar to Thickers, except they are actually sticky and the packaging is wider so they are easier to put away) from We R Memory Keepers' Happy Camper line for 'dreams'.  I found these are Tuesday Morning's last week.  'Sweet' was written out using an older set of Dear Lizzy Thickers.  The burlap heart is from the Sn@p DIY line from Simple Stories and the puffy sticker camera is from Amy Tangerine.  I had intended to add more gold to the layout because of the woodgrain foiling on the WRMK alphas but the gold embellishments from KI memories that were in the kit were too much of a yellow gold rather than this gorgeous soft gold and I didn't want them to clash with each other.  Since the cream in the chipboard is very similar to the creams in the papers behind it, I really like the gold addition to help the letters pop a bit.

I  pulled this card from the DITL cards to use for my journaling and layered another burlap heart with a puffy heart from the same set as the camera.  Much to my surprise, most of the cards had a white base, which was quite disappointing considering I had purchased the cards with the intention of being able to use them in conjunction with the scrapbook kit since I wasn't a fan of several of the papers in it.  I stamped and journaled in Stampin' Up Red Riding Hood.  I like how the color works with the red in the Mon Ami collection papers that I used on the layout.  As usual, I accidentally smudged the journaling before it completely dried when I was trying to attach it to the layout but because of the more distressed feel of the layout, it ended up not bothering me at all.

I added in this photo to show the dimension that is added with the burlap stickers and the wood veneer.  These burlap pieces are from Little Yellow Bicycle and I got them on clearance for .44 at Michaels a few days ago.  They are very stiff and thicker than I expected them to be, so they popped up the bottom of the photo just a touch when I added them.  My only complaint about the burlap (the stiffness, texture, and weave are the exact same in both the SS and LYB sets) is that they leave me feeling really itchy.  I had made a wreath using loose burlap and had the same problem and try to avoid it.  I honestly wasn't expecting these to shed in the same manner as burlap in it's fabric form, but they do.  If you are sensitive to that sort of thing like I am, it's just something you'll want to keep in mind before purchasing them.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you've been playing along since there is a great grand prize drawing that will be happening after the next sketch is due!

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment