Friday, June 13, 2014

11 Months - Page Maps Sketch

 I can't find the digital version of the sketch, so I don't have a copy of it to post at the moment, but this was based on a sketch from Becky Fleck/Page Maps.  I have two sketch challenges that I could have worked on yesterday when I sat down to scrap, but this photo was calling me to be finished.  Neither sketch worked, but I had a sketch in the stack I have at my desk that worked, so I went for it.  I had THE hardest time finding a paper collection that worked with the colors in the onesie sticker that I've used for all of the titles for my son's first 11 months.  As you can see if you zoom in closer, the sticker here is a bit worse for wear, so when we ordered the custom onesie for his first birthday, I decided to not take additional photos using the last month sticker.  It took a good deal of distracting him to get even a decent photo because he wanted to grab the stickers every time.  I am thinking for our last child, I may just bite the bullet and order embroidered monthly onesies because the time we wasted trying to get him to not play with the stickers was quite the ordeal every month from about 6 months onward.

I ultimately decided on using Stationary Noted by Teresa Collins.  I used this for another month photo when I was having the same problem with finding the right colors.  Most lighter blues are more on the green side of the spectrum rather than a true light blue.  This is one of the only collections that I have with a true light blue (and oddly enough, I hardly used any of it) but it also has a lot of red.  The red looks great, even with the navy cardstock, but it clashed badly with the tan in the sticker, so I nixed that idea pretty quickly.  I used a WRMK punch to cut out out the strip on the side of the photo and I love how it turned out.  To get it to match up perfectly on the end without having to do any trimming, I discovered that if you match the cardstock up to the edge of the punch housing (not the outside where the diagram is) it gives you that perfect finished element.  I did snip off a bit on one end because the design is a bit taller than 8 inches, though.  I also included a piece of Stampin' Up vellum behind the photo mat for an added bit of interest and to separate the right side of the photo from the grey damask type print that is on the background.  I initially inked all of the pieces to help with the separation but it wasn't enough.  I had totally forgotten about the vellum until I stopped on the layout for the night and noticed it as I was cleaning up a bit.  I wish I had seen it before inking because I would have used this instead of inking.

Since I had only two main embellishment clusters that went on the diagonal across the photo, I put photo corners on the opposite corners of the layout for another element of interest.

The clusters ended up being pretty simple but I love that they help to make the photo even more of a focal piece.  Here I layered three stickers from the coordinating sticker sheet, added a few enamel dots and then a chipboard button.  This is our second child, so I felt the No. 2 on the button was a perfect addition.

 The sketch called for a subtitle here which made it the most optimal spot for the date.  I used a bracket stickers from the same sticker sheet, date stamped onto a scrap of notebook printed patterned paper and then added a couple more chipboard buttons.  I aimed to put a bit of tan into the main elements that didn't touch the title sticker to tie in a bit of that color.

I spent a good deal of time trying to add some elements to the journaling block, but nothing felt right.  In the end, I simply added several enamel dots in blue, tan, and black to fill in some of the extra space that was left when my journaling was finished.

I still think the title sticker sticks out more than I would like, but the colors were so hard to match that I feel this was the absolute best option in my stash.  I usually struggle with such soft colors when working on anything but very new baby layouts, so I am happy to have gotten a chance to use more of this collection when my son was a bit older.

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Denise

1 comment:

  1. Love the simple design and the minimal embellies. The paper is perfect!

    ReplyDelete