Saturday, May 31, 2014

Monkey On My Back - Scrapbook Steals MWM Daisy #6

 
 Here is this week's Mid Week Mojo from Scrapbook Steals.  They are currently on Daisy #6 and you have until Monday to enter.  If you are interested in learning more or seeing the inspiration piece behind this sketch, please click here to be directed to the Scrapbook Steals blog!

I decided to go digging into some more stash and used some of my September 2013 Cocoa Daisy kit.  This one doesn't seem like it will go far but I have a bunch of random sheets of the Hello Again collection from Carta Bella that I can couple with it (when I find them) that will allow me to stretch the kit.  The intent of the sketch was to have a big dimensional element where the big dots were but I just wasn't feeling up to something that involved when I sat down to work on this layout.  I needed something simple that would allow me to just have fun, so I substituted the large graphic element for a simple confetti print from the Echo Park Photo Freedom collection and then added a large cluster in the top left corner for some added interest.

Sorry for the overexposure here!!  I had the title picked out here pretty quick but after the layout was about done, I realized the title was really lacking in the impact department and when I was looking at the sticker sheet (also Echo Park Photo Freedom) I noticed the stamp set for the kit out of the corner of my eye.  Now, this is where I got brave and didn't even think about it when I was doing it but after the fact, I was shocked that I just went for it when usually I hesitate like crazy on things like this.  I primed the stamps on some scraps and tested the look and liked it.  However, when I did my actual stamping, the stamp didn't leave the best impression (it still isn't as crisp as I'd like but that navy deepens a lot with repeated stamping) so I stamped on top of it.  The last time I stamped a second time I failed miserably, so it was quite impressive (in my humble, opinion) for me to do it here DIRECTLY on my page.  It seems that not thinking about it and just going for it (no testing at all) gave me the best results.  The stamping really draws your attention to the title and gives it a bit of extra impact.  I used Night Of Navy and Coastal Cabana from SU for the stamping and double stamped them both.  The Coastal Cabana stamped just fine the first time but the color needed to be more vibrant.

I'm not sure I love the stamping here, but that's mostly because I didn't plan on it.  I tested the look and realized I accidentally got some left over ink on the corner and I had used a strong liquid adhesive to put this down and there was no way it was going to move to trim that off so I just went for it.  I used one triangle from the triangle I used near the title and then another small triangle from another stamp in the set and didn't bother to double stamp it.  This piece was already tough to stamp considering the banner sticker was pop dotted and I didn't want to risk it.  I used my tag topper punch from SU, twine from the kit, flair from the kit, overlay from the kit and then enamel dots and veneer from my stash to round out this cluster.  I decided to use the twine from the kit rather than finding a teal or red in my stash because of the tiny bit of brown around the circles in the paper that mats my photo.  The overlays were also added because of the brownish hue they have.

 I couldn't believe my luck!  I had JUST reorganized some of my loose embellishments and stumbled upon some tickets that I had won in a RAK and the colors worked perfectly with this layout, so I used it.  The quote on the ticket said something about memories and I would have loved to use it, but the scale was quite large for the layout.  The other ticket that was attached to this referred to brothers, so I'm thinking when I pull in some more of my loose paper from the Hello Again collection, I'll try and use it with some photos of my sons together.    I used the top half of another overlay here, stamped another arrow/triangle stamp from the kit's stamp set and a label sticker from the Photo Freedom sticker sheet in the kit.  The best part was that I finally used one of the epoxy stickers from Dear Lizzy that I've pulled out wanting to use on several layouts but never did get there.  I did pop dot it up because the flair had a lot of dimension and I wanted this cluster to carry a similar weight and after moving it around a lot the adhesive on it wasn't that strong anymore, anyway.  I didn't want this cluster to be as heavy as the ones on the corners, so I opted to leave off the enamel dots here.

 This is the cluster that I started with and I knew right off the bat that I wanted that banner sticker here and I just layered around it.  The flair was one that I made using a digi file from Gossamer Blue that I had had sitting in my stash for a while.  Believe it or not, the hardest part about this cluster was choosing the enamel dots.  I have literally dozens of packages of them and have zero reds that have that pink-ish tone to them, so I opted to use a soft pink that compliments the pink in the stripes and chevron papers.

So I know I cheated a bit and went my own route with this sketch but usually I spend so much time trying to make it follow the major elements of the sketch that I end up dedicating too much time to an aspect that I either don't find worth it or is frustrating to the point of me wanting to not finish the layout.  That is why I opted for something that fit more within how I was feeling like scrapping while still holding onto the overall feel of the sketch.  I hope you take the time to participate.  The prize that I received for winning a couple of weeks ago was amazing.  It must have weighed close to two pounds.  It included a full collection pack from Authentique, some amazing vellum from Maggie Holmes for Crate Paper (the teal bokeh one and the gold doily one), a TON of assorted papers (including a bunch from the collection I used that week that I was SO PROUD to finally put a dent in so that really made me laugh) and several embellishments from Bo Bunny and Prima.  I was blown away by the contents!!

Thanks for stopping by!!

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment