Saturday, May 10, 2014

Eww Dad, Gross! Layout Share

 I am SO proud of myself.  This layout was done not using a specific challenge sketch.  It's still using a sketch (from PageMaps) but usually I seem to be able to keep up with sketches listed on ACOT and Scrapbook Steals and that's about it.  This one isn't a sketch challenge, it's JUST a sketch.  Today is the last day to enter the ACOT NSD challenges and I was determined to get my name in the hat for another.  I printed out four of the challenges and completed three of them, which is awesome for me.  I used mostly elements from my May Cocoa Daisy kit but the misted cardstock is from an older kit.  I used the Jillibean Soup placemat as a mask before using it as the background on a prior page (here) because I wanted to get double use out of it and because I wasn't sure which I wanted to use when I made that page.  I love that there was a challenge to use a stencil and mist for NSD because this probably would have been left sitting in my stash for a long time otherwise.

Yes, that is a picture of my husband licking our son.  Yes, I photographed it.  No, it is not weird, lol.  Our son had been on a kick of licking everything and everyone and saying he was 'being a dog' when he did it.  My husband finally had enough and decided to get him back.  It was hilarious.  I absolutely love it when I can get Riley's big grins on camera.  I can almost hear him laughing just looking at it.

 I used some Navy Jillibean Soup Beanboard alphas for 'Eww', some very old Thickers for 'Dad,' that were so old they are curling off the backing in the package...gluing them down with Tombow Mono Multi Glue didn't help...they still popped up, and Simple Stories Sn@p alphas for 'gross!'.  My main goal with the sn@p alphas was to bring more red to this half of the page.  The grey cardstock overshadows the red in the mat behind it, so I added several pops of red in an effort to balance out the bolder mat around the photo.

 I used a stash veneer (from a Gossamer Blue kit) and some banners made from a Stampin' Up punch.  All of the flair are from the kit (in fact, I used ever piece from the kit).  This piece I used solely for the 'love' element although it was made to coordinate with a set of stickers from MME's Now & Then line.  I also added photo corners using an EK Success punch I received a couple of years ago in a swap to bring even more red to the right side of the page.  I layered the entire cluster on top of a gold polka dot washi that you can't see much of.  It anchors the cluster nicely and is a fun detail that you might not notice if you weren't looking closely.  It ties in with the piece added below the journaling.

 I punched a tag out of cardstock in the kit from the Stampin' Up tag topper punch (this might be a record for using punches on a layout for me) and I thought it looked too boring.  My number one gripe is that this punch doesn't have a coordinating reinforcer punch.  It dawned on me that my Cocoa Daisy Christmas kit had a pack of Basic Grey vellum stickers from the 25th and Pine collection and the red in it was a nice compliment to the tomato-ey red in the kit.  The hole was too small for the reinforcer so I used a standard handheld office single hole punch.I layered a tag from the kit with a cut apart element from the DITL add-on cards that I purchased, again and stamped the date and 'laugh' from roller stamps.  The date is my trusty 2010's October Afternoon decade roller and 'laugh' is half of a phrase from a phrase roller.  I grabbed two boy potty people and inked them in a chalk ink included in the kit.  The gold elements are from KI memories, also included in the kit and the little heart is from a pack of Lily Bee enamel pieces that I had in my stash.

 This cluster gave me the most trouble because I didn't want it to be too heavy since it was right next to the tag and I wanted that tag to be the focal cluster, but I still wanted something here.  I'm not completely happy with how this cluster turned out because there is so much bare space beneath my journaling but after fussing with it for a good amount of time, I just called it done.  I was worried that I'd end up making it worse rather than solving my problem.  If I happen to think of a way to fix it, then I'll fix it later, but I am not going to sit down and try everything in the kit in hopes that something will work.  This looks fine to me, save for the blank space and worse case, if it bothers me that much, I am sure I can think of something to add to the journaling to solve my problem.  For now, it's fine the way it is.

Thanks for stopping by!

Denise

1 comment:

  1. What a great layout Denise; it is such fun to capture those great moments :) :)

    ReplyDelete