Monday, May 19, 2014

10 Months - A Cherry On Top Becky Fleck Sketch Challenge #67


Photo: Have fun with this week's Sketch Challenge and grab some Bonus Points! http://bit.ly/sketch67


 
 I'm so happy!  I finally got to use the collection from my recent ACOT purchase that I've been waiting on specifically for one photo I've had sitting here for a while, now.  I scrapbook monthly spreads of my kids and the 10 month image was navy and orange.  I went through my stash and didn't have anything with a lot of navy in it, but knew that the 'That's My Boy' collection from Echo Park had both navy and orange throughout.  I also do them in order, so that means months 11 and 12 haven't been completed, yet.  All because I needed to get my hands on this collection.  The BEST part of this whole thing is that I realized after getting everything together that there were a number of hexagon based stickers in the collection.  I only used one piece from it, but I definitely would have incorporated more if I had noticed beforehand.

That diagonal plaid paper in the background is EASILY my favorite one in the collection.  It is a bit of a busy paper, though.  The sketch for this challenge was perfect because it called for a matted section in the middle for the photo but left a lot of the background paper visible.  The distressed solid orange piece was just enough to balance out the busyness of the diagonal plaid paper.  I made it my goal to emphasize the navy and orange (after all, having those colors was why I put off scrapping this photo for so long) but needed to work with another color to keep the navy from blending in with the photo's backdrop (we used a navy sheet for all 12 month's worth of photos) so I added in the lighter blue and I think the contrast is beautiful.  I was about 90% done with the layout when I decided it needed to be matted.  I had about given up on finding a place to put the navy paper, so I was happy that it worked so well.  I cut through the top and right sides of the hexagons when I cropped the background paper, but I moved the bottom left cluster because the two smaller hexagon pieces would have been cut off entirely.  I also moved the top cluster after mounting the diagonal plaid paper because there was an odd gap between the hexagons and it.

As with all of the other layouts from my son's photo shoots, I use the onesie's sticker as the title element.  The only exception to this will be his 12 month/1 year layout because it was taken with him wearing his custom made birthday onesie.  I didn't do too much beyond what the sketch called for because the hexagons made it incredibly difficult to find homes for any of the clusters, but I liked the hexagons as they were and didn't want to change them more than I had to.  So, I added a banner sticker and a Studio Calico puffy asterisk sticker and called this section done.

I wasn't very original and followed the sketch very closely...including this lovely camera embellishment and that's just fine by me.  I added another banner and a couple of puffy stickers and that was all she wrote.

This space gave me a lot of trouble.  I hadn't yet trimmed down my journaling piece when I wrote out my journaling because I wanted to make sure it would fit.  It fit just fine but left a lot of open space that just looked odd.  Since the blue paper had no pattern, it's bareness really drew unnecessary attention to it.  To remedy this, the first thing I did was add a third hexagon to this cluster and moved it in a bit closer.  The other thing I did was add the details sticker.  This was part of a larger journaling spot that I simply cut down to fit my needs.  My favorite element here has to be that 'awesome' hexagon sticker.  I had noticed the hexagon border stickers on the sheet before, but I felt like this piece was meant to be on the layout when I saw it.  I had to move the title sticker down a bit to make sure it wasn't covering up any of the journaling, but that was such a simple fix.  It filled in all of the extra space after my journaling was done and added another fun burst of orange.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how this layout turned out.  There's nothing worse than putting off doing something for months (for one reason or another) and then to finally work on it and have it turn out badly.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Denise


1 comment:

  1. LOVE your take on the sketch! Your son is such a cutie. Just wanted to let you know I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. Check out my blog post and play along if you want to! I just wanted to give your blog a “shout out” and pay back to the person who nominated me.

    http://blbabe1234.wordpress.com/2014/05/21/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete