Friday, April 25, 2014

Twinsies - Scrapbook Steals MWM Sketch Daisy #1

Scrapbook Steals has started a new series of 10 (the Rose series closed out, but I still need to catch up on three sketches...there is still time to enter for the big drawing and I hope to make the deadline) called Daisy.  If you are interested in joining, please click here to be directed to the Scrapbook Steals blog.  I hope you join in!

I've had this Jillibean Soup placemat for a while in one of my Cocoa Daisy kits (most of this layout is made using that kit...I believe it is from December 2013) and decided to dive in and use it.  At first, I tested the navy mist on the mat and planned on using the misted space but it was just too much blue.  So I went ahead and used the mat itself and adhered it to a piece of kraft cardstock from the kit.  I really like how it came out and the sparkle adds a lot of interest to the background.  I will admit that I suffered a tragedy while misting.  I use an old box that my CD kits come in and stupidly turned the spray too far sideways and ended up getting it ALL OVER my mat.  I tested a teensy bit of staz on cleaner and managed to get the ink to come up really well with that.  So, I went ahead and went to the other area and used another spritz of the staz on cleaner...this time, it smeared all of the number printed on my mat.  I ended up having to rush out and buy a new one (that I'll be putting down as soon as I clean up the rest of the stuff from this layout) because it is just heartbreaking to look at my mat look like that.  The cool part about the mat I picked up was that it's double sided.  One side is blue and one side is purple (those are the two accessory colors in my space) whereas this one only has markings on one side with the other side being a bunch of decorative flowers.  I scored it for $7.50 during the holidays last year (and even picked up a second one for my niece) and the new one was twice that price after a coupon, but I know me.  I'll be bothered by the smudge on mat if it stays.  Don't worry, though, it's not going in the trash, I'll hold onto it for other projects down the line. :)

This layout is a bit embellishment heavy by my standards.  A few days ago, I was clearing out a bunch of things to donate or share with a friend in order to gain some real estate back.  The glasses I used here were one of the few pieces that I kept from a Basic Grey pack that I had yet to use.  I've had this photo out on my desk waiting to scrap it for some time now, so knowing that I wanted to scrap it and having it out and visible was the only reason I even held onto that piece.  The navy pieces are all inked in the same Navy color from Heidi Swapp that I used on the background (that was Navy Color Shine) but I didn't really want the sparkle, so I used the ink instead.  Most of the papers used are from Family Stories by Teresa Collins but there are a few exceptions.  The white paper with the teal blocks is one example, but I got rid of the manufacturer's strip before thinking to check the maker.  The paper matting the photo is from Lily Bee.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to use for the title and tried 'so much for that theory' but didn't really like how the fonts I selected went together, so I changed it and FINALLY got to use these Goodness Thickers that I've had since last summer.  I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that they look so beat up, though...and they definitely needed some extra adhesive to stick.  The 'love' veneer was from the kit, the label was from MME Cut & Paste (not sure which sub collection) and I think it worked perfectly since it allowed me to mark who was who in the photo.  The photo on the left is my husband when he was a boy.  The photo on the right is my oldest when he was 2.  I posted that photo to Facebook and my MIL ran to find a picture of my husband making a very similar pose to show just how similar they look.  The first picture may show it a little bit better, but they are nearly identical.  Everyone in my family swore up and down that he looked like me (hence 'so much for that theory' as the original working title) but these pictures definitely dispelled that.

 I LOVE how the bottom cluster turned out and it came together so naturally.  This flair and the other two are all from A {flair} For Buttons that I've had in my stash for a while and they worked great with this collection.  The top cluster was added because that top square looked odd being so plain.  Instead of adding more teal, I pulled out my SU Crumb Cake ink and inked up the date tag from Heidi Swapp.  That veneer was a custom order from someone in The Scrap Yard on facebook.

 Here you can see the one piece of Lily Bee paper (from the We R Family collection, I believe it's called) that I used to mat my photo as well as that AWESOME resist camera I added.  The 'cool' sticker was from one of the MME Cut & Past sticker sheets (the same one as the 'name' label) from the kit.  I almost never use flat stickers, so I'm happy to have found a good use for a few pieces.

The sketch does not call for a cluster like this, but since I placed the center part a tad lower than the midway point, I felt like it needed something extra.  So I added a piece of washi tape (placed over cardstock because it sunk into the cut outs from the chevron) and a label from the same die cut pack, also inked with SU Crumb Cake ink.  The small veneer is from the kit and the medium sized heart is from the same custom order as the large one to the left of the photo.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Since this is using some older products, I didn't do much keeping track of where the items came from or what collection I used.  I may also be a bit on the sleepy side so if this post isn't as coherent as it usually is, that's what I'm blaming it on.  At any rate, thank you for stopping by and don't forget to check out that link above if you want to join in on the sketch challenges from Scrapbook Steals.

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment