Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Project Life Cover Page

 I'll start off by admitting...yes, I'm the one that spent EONS looking for a project life organization system to finally design my own (that Stamp N Storage now builds and sells as part of their regular inventory here) to make my supplies easier to reach.  Until today, however, I did NOT PL!!!  *Gasp*  I do use pocketed pages to document photo heavy events such as birthdays and Christmas (and I even used them to document my oldest son's first haircut last year because I live up to my name: Mamarazzi) but I've been wanting to start the real way.  I was going to put together my first two weeks together, but realized when I sat down that I should probably start with a cover page and so I did just that.
 I received my Cocoa Daisy scrapbook kit in the mail today and when I pulled out my January 2014 Life Page kit from Gossamer Blue to use, I just had to use the Navy Beanboard Alphas that came in the kit.  It's not everyday that a company comes out with a killer navy alpha (that isn't covered in glitter) and it went perfectly with the color scheme of the GB kit.  I pulled cards from other GB kits as well but I did not write down where they came from (sorry).  The 'the' and 'family' are from the B sides of the new October Afternoon alpha sets.  Just a side note:  Only our kids have two last names (hyphenated but I didn't feel the hyphen was essential here), I did not change mine when my husband and I got married but we consider their last name to be our family name.

TIP:  Mercytiara (YouTube channel) suggested something she had heard from another person for the loose alphas:  keep the backing of the alpha pack and cross off letters as they are used.  I sorted mine into three piles, caps, lowercase, and punctuation and put each category into their own bag to make it a little easier to sort later on as well.  Both of these tactics will hopefully save me a bit of sanity later on.  Less time to find letters and no time spent looking for letters that I'm out of.
 The yellow card on the left was a bit plain, so I took a standard width heart washi and put a narrow strip of it on the top and bottom and added a navy enamel heart from one of the last Lily Bee releases.  The banner sticker on the right hand card is from a family line by Bella Blvd.  I liked another sticker better that said 'we are family' but the speech bubble was on the right side and I didn't like the way the potty people looked on the other side of the card.
 This card was kept super simple.  All I added was a fun touch of clear Wink Of Stella glitter pen across the sun to give it a little extra pop.
I think I spent about 20 minutes looking for one element for this card and it ended up being the PERFECT piece.  I had already placed the heart veneer and sat there debating printing out a photo or finding a fun element.  I went through all of my Just Add Color core kit 2x2 cards and while some worked, they were either the wrong color or the color blended in too much with the teal in the background of this card.  After digging through drawers and drawers, I turned around and saw the most recent Heidi Swapp clearance purchases that I had gotten from Michaels a few days ago.  There were two great stickers and while I preferred the wording on the other one, the shape wasn't quite right.  In the end I'm very happy with this.  The cream in the stickers coordinates great with the veneer and the other colors made it seem like they were meant to go together all along.

I hope you like it and I hope to have plenty more project life shares in the future.  I have photos for weeks 1 and 2 already printed out.  I am using a mix of 3x4 cell phone pics that I combined in Pic Frame and printed off of my Selphy and photos that I printed from my big DSLR that I typically have printed up every couple of months.  I'm not sure about you, but I find that my 'real life' photos end up taken using my cell phone which is why I wanted to get a Selphy to begin with.  In our house, we take photos EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. and sometimes those photos can get routine.  We can easily have day after day of posed smile shots as we are rushing to put the boys to bed for the night, but when we whip out our cell phones, we are taking fun, candid shots that speak more of our daily lives than those rushed daily photos.  I am greatly looking forward to mixing the two in this album.

Thanks for stopping by!

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment