Sunday, April 20, 2014

Hangin Out With Daddy - Scrapbook Steals MWM Sketch Rose #10

 I'd like to say that I have finished all of the sketches in this series, but I can't.  I'd also like to say that I at least finished all of them from the point that I joined in, but I can't.  I missed sketches 1 and 2 as well as 7 (which had two options).  I started at three, but I missed 7 because of a cold.  We don't get sick that often, but somehow I managed to get the sickest (which was when the Rose #7 sketches were up) and as soon as I started to feel better, I caught another cold.  Both were head colds with different issues, but a month later, and we're still recovering.  Anyway, I can at least say that every sketch that I've been well enough to do, I have done for this series since I started at number 3.  If you are interested in these sketch challenges, please check out the scrapbook steals blog here for more information.  That link is directly to the sketch this layout was based off of, but there are links within that blog post that tell you what the Mid Week Mojo is all about as well as links to past sketches you can try out if you are so inclined.

This layout doesn't have a ton of balance.  I had intended to add more of the colors in that top right strip but ended up using mostly the red with a splash of green (that enamel dot at the bottom was my measly attempt at tying green into that part of the page, haha).  Even so, I'm happy with how the layout turned out and as you can see, I still haven't gotten over my fondness for navy.  To be fair, I was aiming for red and couldn't find anything that I was really drawn to until I started tinkering with some papers from some past Studio Calico kits that I had.  When I started working on the bottom cluster, I had no idea what color to use but the sketch called for a square-ish element near the title and as I was heading to the area where I keep a box full of my veneer that are too big for my normal containers (4 of them...all are full...yes, I need more of them) and pulled out the 4 sets of Freckled Fawn frames that I haven't yet used.  I just don't know how to use frames.  I usually scrap 4x6 photos which makes it hard to use a frame.  While reaching for the box, which is on a counter in a drawer, I had to move some things that were in the way from a purchase that arrived in the mail a few days prior.  There they were.  Stacks of 3x4 cards from the Lily Bee family collection (I think it's called We R Family) and when I saw that it was navy heavy, I sat down to see what would go.  When I settled upon the beautiful paper that is backing the frame, I then decided that I should mix in some of the other papers from that collection and ended up going in a different direction than originally intended...even though I was still unwilling to remove that word strip behind the photo.  The blues and reds mix perfectly which helped since I only had two papers from the WRMK notable collection and wasn't in love with any of the other papers that I had sitting on my desk.
 I didn't originally intend to frame the title card, but it wasn't a large enough scale.  If I had my way, the frame would have been even larger, but I liked the small scale of the chevron from the 6x6 paper pad and didn't want to cut into my only sheet of the 12x12 in that design for a larger mat.  I think this part of the layout might be my favorite.  The soft red alphas from October Afternoon work perfectly with the other reds and I love that it's a script font that compliments the bold and tile fonts above it.  The love veneer inside of the frame is from a Gossamer blue kit.  As you'll notice, all of the open spaces in the veneer I used have been filled in.  The bottom of this one was filled with the brown paper that you see to the left of the title card.
 This is another Gossamer Blue veneer.  I had originally intended to back the whole thing in the chevron paper, but really liked the pop of red in the hearts.  I used scraps of the red paper below the photo to fill in this heart and the heart in the house in the next photo.  This was added to echo the family sentiment in the wood frame at the opposite corner and the teal chevron paper further ties them together.
 I kept this part simple with a ticket sticker from the Sn@p collection by Simple stories, the house veneer from Freckled Fawn and enamel dots.
I chose not to use three enamel dots here because the weight wasn't quite working for me.  These five pieces echo the colors and textures in the remaining parts of the layout and another piece made it feel unbalanced.  I added this green sticker from the MME Now & Then: Milo collection to tie in with the green in the word strip.  I am not sure I did a very good job at pulling that paper into the layout in a way that fully balanced it, but as I said, I was determined to keep it there.

All in all, considering how much I struggled to get this layout started, I am very pleased with the outcome.  Thanks so much for stopping by!

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment