Sunday, April 13, 2014

Follow In Your Footsteps - Scrapbook Steals Mid Week Mojo Rose #9

Hurry!!  You still have a bit of time to enter into this week's Mid Week Mojo over at Scrapbook Steals.  If you wish to enter, please click here to check it out.   I knew exactly what I was going to use for this sketch, which is a rarity for me.  While working on one of my recent layouts, I pulled an Echo Park Paper kit from my stash that had some random things tossed in that definitely didn't belong.  One of those things was the photo that I ended up scrapping today.  I haven't scrapped anything earlier than 2012 (and even then, it's been holiday specific) for a long while and it's hard to believe so much has changed since this photo was taken.  I am insanely happy with how my layout turned out even though I didn't stick to the sketch completely.
 This layout features my April 2014 Cocoa Daisy kit and I must say, I am really happy with how it turned out.  The diamond paper, the bokeh paper and the cloud paper (the bokeh and cloud paper are the a and b side of the same sheet) are all Cocoa Daisy exclusives and let me tell you, I sure am glad I bought extras because I love, love, love three of the four designs.  The 4th design that I didn't use seems a bit out of place.  It's a cork/sand looking texture and I tried really hard to make it go (because hello, it's a beach photo so there is sand, right?) but it just wasn't happening.  I love how vibrant and happy this kit is and it just helped to showcase this photo perfectly.  It's not everyday that I end up with such an amazing shot and this is probably one of my all time favorites.  I have several others from this beach trip that turned out well, but there is just something about this photo that speaks to me.  The heart paper on the left of the photo is from Studio Calico Lemonlush, the teal squares paper is from Amy Tangerine's Plus One collection, and the yellow chevron paper is from Pink Paislee's Hello Sunshine.  The journaling card and the tag with the date were cards from the Cocoa Daisy Day In The Life kit.  I only purchased the add on cards, but I'm definitely kicking myself for not picking the entire kit!!
 As soon as I laid down the word 'footsteps' in my title against that green bokeh, I knew it was the perfect choice.  I stick stickers on wax paper just in case and it helps with placement, but can often make it hard to truly see how a title will look and that was definitely the case here.  The journaling here isn't about our vacation but is instead about how I want my son to follow in his dad's footsteps.  I wrote the journaling to my son rather than to my husband, but I am NOT at all religious and didn't want 'follow in his footsteps' to be misconstrued as some sort of ode to the religious saying.  Also, my journaling specifies 'his' in reference to his dad versus the 'your' here in the title to help clear up any confusion there may be.  The lighter blue alphas are from the sn@p line from Simple Stories and the navy are Heidi Swapp exclusive alphas from Studio Calico's December 2013 Blue Note Scrapbook kit that I picked up on sale for the NSD promotion they had going.  I actually got two of this kit since they were only $10 each after coupon.  I believe there are still 3 kits eligible for the coupon (including Blue Note) so if you are interested in any of them, you can check out www.bigpictureclasses.com for information on that.
 This wood veneer and the one under the journaling are from the Cocoa Daisy kit and the asterisk is from another of the $10 kits that I purchased from Studio Calico.  The flair is of my own making and I felt it worked really well here.  My only complaint about this kit was that the yellow embellishments that were included were more orange-y or not bright enough, so I had to go digging into my stash to balance the page with enough of the right yellow.
 This cloud veneer is from Diana McRae and she can be found on facebook.  She also does custom orders and I love working with her.  She does the flatter ones that are becoming popular as well as these ones that have more dimension.  The flair here is adapted from a digi file from one of my Gossamer Blue kits.  I used the date label from one of the 3x4 cards (that is designed as a cut apart) and stamped it using my October Afternoon 2010's date stamp in Stampin Up' Night Of Navy ink.
This is the other veneer from the kit and the only one that has any etching.  I really like it and liked the contrast of the etching versus the other two plain ones.  The flair here is another Studio Calico exclusive.  The journaling was done in a Stampin' Up marker in Night Of Navy to coordinate with the date stamp.

I think I covered everything, but I'm in such a hurry to share this page (because I love it so much) that I may have forgotten something.  If you have a question, please don't hesitate to ask.  I will do my very best to answer.

Thank you for stopping by!!

Denise

1 comment: