Monday, March 24, 2014

Visiting With Santa 2013 - A Cherry On Top Sketch Challenge

 I don't think I've delayed making a layout for a Becky Fleck Sketch Challenge at ACOT in a while, so there isn't much time left to enter, but if you are interested, the sketch is posted here.  It is due tomorrow by midnight EST.  This one gave me some interesting issues because I didn't want the 'happy holidays' part of the 'joy' paper on mine, so I had to flip the sketch horizontally to make it work.  The biggest problem was making the layers hold their own and after much hesitation, I decided to go for it and outline most of the elements.  I did not outline the photo mat, the Project Life Merry & Bright card or the two large background papers because they didn't need them to hold their own weight. 
 The idea to outline the papers came to me after deciding to outline 'santa' in the title.  The title floated a bit too much without the tag, but there was already so much green and red in this part of the layout, so grey was the obvious choice paper.  BUT, I didn't have any alphas in a green that coordinated with the layout (and red wasn't the route I wanted to take) so thanks to mercytiara (a youtuber) I decided to outline the letters.  It really did the trick.  That one decision ended up helping pull together the entire layout!!
 Again, I'm using one of my absolute favorite washi tapes (I'm glad I bought two...they are 5 meters instead of the usual 10 and I've used this tape more than any other single tape I own) and it was a fun touch.  Both of the flair on this layout are of my own design.
I kept this section super simple and added a punched circle from the background paper.  I cut out the center of it when I layered the joy paper over top just in case.  I deliberately moved the enamel dots away from the flair to keep the 13 visible.

And that does it!  A pretty simple layout but as usual with all of the Christmas stuff that I've been buying over the past 6 or 7 months, the hardest part was choosing a paper collection to go with.  I really need to pull myself in when it comes to holiday product because it makes me want to avoid scrapping holiday activities.  I literally pull out every Christmas paper collection and kit that I own and spend 30 minutes or more just trying to pick a paper collection.  Never again.  Or at least, not until later this year, right?! ;)

Thanks for stopping by!!

Denise

2 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely layout - I love the hint of grey with the traditional red and green. Great color scheme!

    ReplyDelete