Saturday, March 15, 2014

Through Your Eyes - Scrapbook Steals Sketch Rose #5



To join in on this challenge, check out the Scrapbook Steals blog here.  Before I even started, I knew this sketch was going to be a true challenge.  I don't really do 'white space' and I am not the greatest at visualizing layers, either.  BUT, I still tackled it.


Supplies for this layout are listed at the bottom of the post.  I felt like listing them in paragraph form was a bit too messy.  Have you ever had an idea for something, liked how it was going and then did something completely stupid to completely destroy your vision?  Welcome to my day, today!!  The sketch called for the title to be below the photo but I couldn't make it work and moved it.  I had the brilliant idea to journal below the photo instead.  I couldn't decide if I wanted a bold black or a marker that matched the ink I used for the stamping so I doodled a bit underneath all of the layers to see how it would look.  I decided the black looked fine and the moment I finished my journaling I wanted to cry because it looked absolutely awful...and this was the only sheet of that Elle's Studio paper that I have.  I tried the various cardstocks that came in the kit and none of them worked without competing with the grey paper that I was using in the upper left hand cluster.  I remembered that I had just recently ordered some of the Stampin' Up neutral cardstock about 10 minutes into panicking I went looking.  I carefully removed the layered pieces from this background and tested it directly onto Smoky Slate (a very pretty light grey) and it looked okay but completely lost the impact that this Elle's Studio gave everything.  So I grabbed the Basic Grey colored piece (a much darker grey) and put it up to the Elle's Studio paper and it looked nice.  I trimmed off the journaling, which ended up being an inch and then matched that cut on the sides.  I would have preferred to get away with a smaller mat, but remember the doodling I said I tested?  Well, that was in the corners so I couldn't move it away from the position it was originally in, so I was unable to move the photo cluster anywhere.  Ultimately, I am very happy with how the layout turned out given the disaster and using two new to me techniques.  I ended up omitting the journaling altogether, but will write it on a label or part of a tag if I decide to add it back in later.


I loved how my title looked, but it needed a little something, so I dug out my Heidi Swapp Color Shine in teal and dabbed ink onto these two stars from Studio Calico to fill in the dead space.  It looks great and pulls in the star flair that is in the upper left cluster.

 I used two different stamps here because the date alone looked a little too small for the scale of the paper.  One thing about this Smoky Slate color is that it doesn't do second generation stamping very well.  It's great for not having to wash my stamps (even though I don't clean off my roller stamps, I just stamp off the ink as much as I can) but not when you want that lighter second and third stamping.  I like the look of these two stamps partnered together.

This cluster really caused me some trouble.  I had the ribbon, paper and flair here when I was working on this layout last night but had no idea how to give it more interest.  I also felt the layout itself was a bit flat and just kept the layout in the back of my mind today while we were out running errands.  At one point, while browsing facebook on my phone, I saw some doilies and thought that would be perfect for the layout.  I didn't expect it to also solve the problems in this cluster, but it ended up being the perfect final touch to the cluster.  One thing that I also did here was fold part of the ribbon and staple it to the grey paper and while there is no other stapling on the layout, the silver/metal repeats the camera paperclip from the photo cluster.

Supplies:

Stampin' Up Basic Grey Cardstock
Elle's Studio Everyday Moments Patterned Paper
Basic Grey Captured Patterned Paper
Cocoa Daisy Exclusive Paper
Project Life Midnight Filler Card
Studio Calico Mistable Stars
Studio Calico Wanderlust Acetate Sheet
Cocoa Daisy Kit Doily (from summer of last year)
Camera Paperclip (I'm not sure who makes this)
A {flair} For Buttons Flair
Amy Tangerine Thickers
My Little Shoebox Mini Alphabets
Doodlebug White Sprinkles
My Mine's Eye Oxford Lane Enamel Dots
Stampin Up' Smoky Slate Ink
Maggie Holmes Flea Market Bokeh Vellum
Bazzill Pacific Cardstock
May Arts Wrinkle Ribbon
Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher
October Afternoon Date Roller
Amy Tangerine Phrase Roller
Heidi Swapp Color Shine - Teal

Thanks for stopping by!!

Denise

4 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job with my sketch! Sorry it was such a bugger, but man, this looks so good that if you hadn't explained that you don't do layers and white space I'd never have known. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think just about everything becomes easier the more you do it. I loved the sketch and was excited for the chance to try something new. Thanks so much for the challenge. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! The colors were such a joy to work with. I couldn't wait to jump and use this kit. The B sides of the exclusive papers are amazing and if they are available next month, I think I'll have to buy an extra set. For once, the paper selection was the EASIEST part of my layout. :)

      Delete