Monday, March 10, 2014

Scrapbook Steals Rose #4 Sketch Challenge - Monkey See, Monkey Does A Headstand

Here is this week's Scrapbook Steals sketch.  To see this sketch and many others, please click here.  I really loved the look of this one and was excited to try my hand at it.  Here is my take:
 I will apologize in advance for the color distortion.  My camera and I were not friends tonight.  Overall, I'm pleased with the layout, but this definitely doesn't make my list of favorite layouts.  It is another memory documented and that's what counts!  I used mostly Echo Park's 'A Boy's Life' for this layout with some pops of other brands as well.  Some of those 'pops' include October Afternoon alpha stickers, Heidi Swapp resist alphas, an Amy Tangerine date roller, A {flair} For Buttons flair, Sn@p flair, Freckled Fawn epoxy stickers and washi, and a Studio Calico frame.  I also used Stampin' Up's Night Of Navy Ink, the coordinating Stampin' Write marker and some Stampin' Dimensionals.
 I decided to try my hand (or machine, rather) at sewing.  I originally had planned on turning the squares opposite the photos into pockets but once I realized that it was quite a complex task for having never done any sewing on a layout before, I tried to sew the squares down.  I tried twice on the top red one and decided that that wasn't going to work.  From there, I tried sewing directly onto the squares and let's just say that I have more of the red alpha paper in the trash than I do on my layout or left in the form of scraps.  I ended up getting a decent stitch around the journaling block and because I didn't want there to only be a singular bit of sewing on the layout, I decided to sew over top this sticker and in the banner you'll see a couple of photos down.
 My biggest struggle was working with these little squares.  I didn't want them to be left plain, but WHAT I wanted to fill them up with was really throwing me.  I eventually settled for a variety of items and in addition to what you see in this photo, I also included a sticker from the A Boy's Life sticker sheet.
 I'm not so sure I love the Freckled Fawn epoxy sticker here, but I wanted to have one in each cluster and this was the best I could find to balance and fit the layout (other options would have left words upside down or repeating the star which I didn't want to do).  This is actually my very first time using a frame on a layout.  I've been using so many photos in 4x6 form that it's really difficult to find a home for these types of frames.  It was a challenge to myself to use one here and I am quite happy with the look.  Since the overall design of the page is quite linear and the frame itself was the same height as the square beneath it, I decided to slant it a tiny bit and add some dimensionals behind to separate it from that square even more.  I tried to have some non linear elements in several locations to offset the boxes that make up most of the layout.
 Here is the other banner with stitching and another instance of trying to add something that wasn't square or linear.  The triangles were a last second addition that I think helped the layout a lot.
 I think one of my favorite elements has to be the title...but it also owns the title for the biggest problem on the layout as well.  The scale doesn't work with the space as well as I'd like, but there were no other title options that I felt would fit.  Either the alphas were too small or too large to work with this layout.  I think the sketch would work better if you have a shorter title in mind.

Thanks for stopping by!

Denise


2 comments:

  1. Great job with the sketch. Love the papers and colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are not normally one for a ton of color, but I think this is a lot of fun (being someone who LOVES bright, bold colors). It might be the "white" space under your title that is bothering you. Maybe if you add an element there it will feel more balanced :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete