Sunday, March 2, 2014

Scrapbook Steals Rose #3 - Put It In My Pocket




 Here is the current week's sketch challenge from Scrapbook Steals.  Click here to be directed to the blog post so you can enter, too.  Submissions are due by tomorrow night (11:59 pm central).  Other rules for entering can be found on their blog.  They used the new MME Now & Then Milo collection for their example and boy are they making me want it.  I loved the colors initially, but then it looked too cream for me (I'm not a big fan of cream, it isn't vibrant enough for me and can often look dirty, in my opinion).  The sample images are really making me think that it might be a more tolerable cream base, but I'm going to hold out and hope that some pieces end up in my future Cocoa Daisy kits so I can see bits and pieces before committing to an entire collection.
 This is what I came up with and I must say, the photos DO NOT do it justice.  Once I assembled the papers, I literally sat and stared at it for a while just taking it all in.  The colors look AMAZING together and while it was hard to use that paper for the background (because it was my only sheet) it really does make the colors in the layout pop.  I'll have a list of supplies (paper collections will be listed, but I won't be listing individual paper names) used at the bottom of the post if you are interested.  Most of the layout was made using my December Cocoa Daisy scrapbook kit.  I honestly forgot about this kit until I went looking for paper options.  I got two Christmas kits from them that month and they were my primary focus.  The pictures of this kit on their site do no justice to it.  It is far more beautiful in person!!
 I finished the layout last night and realized when I laid down that I completely forgot to put a title on the layout!!  I started thinking about supplies and knew EXACTLY what I wanted to use if they were the right shades and they worked perfectly.  I've been hoarding those Thickers for a while and am so glad that I finally got to use them.  This was also a first instance of putting those circle alphas to use.  I have several sets, but I've never really known how to use them.  The flair was a piece that I made by color picking the green from the Lily Bee paper in photoshop.  For a bit of interest, I decided to use a Studio Calico 'R' (my son's first initial) on top.  I chose the olive color to have a visual triangle of that color between that piece, the olive chevron paper and the lines from the grid paper that I used for my journaling (see next photo).  The wood veneer hearts used in all of the embellishment clusters were custom from the kit.
 This cluster gave me a ton of trouble.  I had to attach the heart clip over and over again to get it to stick ...it didn't want to stay.  I finally got it to stick okay enough and the blue ink from the veneers started to smudge all over the paper when I used to my adhesive remover to try and remove some extra glue.  The cluster itself was already looking plain because the clip had no grounding element.  I added a bit the teal chevron paper that I had a scrap of and viola, solved two problems with one stone.
Since 'love' sort of turned into an inadvertent theme on this layout, it was only natural to use this phrase from an Amy Tangerine date roller.  The script in it is very similar to the script in the Maya Road clip which was just an added bonus.  All of the wood veneer hearts were inked up using Night of Navy from Stampin' Up.  The date was stamped in the same ink and I used the same color Stampin' Write Marker for my journaling.  Between that and the sticky keys, it gave me just enough navy to make the navy and aqua star paper fit into the whole layout.  I also used Stampin' Up dimensionals behind both photos.  The paperclip would have made the corner of the bottom photo uneven with the rest of the photo without them.  The dimensionals are also behind the date sticker so it would sit flush with the photo.

Supplies used:

Teresa Collins - Family Stories
Lily Bee - We R Family
My Mind's Eye - Cut & Paste: Charm
My Mind's Eye - Cut & Paste: Flair (the date sticker)
October Afternoon Sticky Keys in Peacock Blue
Thickers in the aqua Sketchbook font
Maya Road 'Love' paperclip
Freckled Fawn 'Love' paperclip
Stampin' Up Night Of Navy Ink
Stampin' Up Night Of Navy Stampin' Write Marker
Stampin' Up Dimensions
Amy Tangerine Date/Phrase Roller Stamp
Cocoa Daisy exclusive paper (blue/aqua star paper)
Cocoa Daisy exclusive heart veneer
Custom made flair (my own design)

Thanks for stopping by and for following me!

Denise

1 comment: