Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

Okay, so, yeah.  This is my first post so I thought maybe it was a good idea to start with an introduction.  I am a 27 (soon to be 28) year old stay at home mom to two boys (3 and just turned 1).  I chose my name because that's what I feel like I am.  It all started back when I was pregnant with our first son.  My husband is an avid Dan Patrick fan and listens to the show on podcast every morning.  There was a 'Danette' as they are called who's wife was expecting a baby.  Just before the baby was due to arrive, Dan gave him a camera and told him to take a photo everyday for the baby's first year because that's when they change the most.  My husband really liked the idea (he's probably kicking himself daily over it by now) and suggested it to me.  I liked it as well, so we went with it.  Seeing as I'm a creature of habit and that I have a hard time stopping things once I've started, I just couldn't stop when he turned one.  My oldest will be 3 1/2 in April and still has his pictures taken everyday.  He reminds me to take them at night if I haven't gotten the camera, yet, and he is already tired of the camera.  Some days we have to take what feels like 100 pictures to get one where he's looking at the camera without him looking goofy (making crazy faces, rolling his eyes...sometimes we even struggle to have images of his face because he will turn away right when we're about to press the shutter button).  It's safe to say that my husband isn't the only one getting tired of them.  It has developed a love of photos from my son, though, so he has a couple of toys that take actual photos (one is a camera and the other is the leap pad explorer thing that has a camera built into it), so it's nice to let him take pictures, too.  He's even figured out how to get to the camera function on our cell phones and I've discovered some pretty fun ones on them.

If you stick around long enough, you'll learn that I'm pretty long winded.  My conversations consist of telling my three year old to stop taking toys from his brother (he knows what toy belongs to which child but it doesn't mean that they aren't all really his) and babbling to the baby.  I consider typing to random (but not always) people on the internet my 'adult interaction'.

I decided to create this blog to share my passions.  I started scrapbooking when my oldest was about 4 months old (I'm right around the 3 year mark this month) but between you and me, I enjoy shopping for supplies and organizing them all to be much more fun.  Don't get me wrong, I love to scrapbook, but I find spending money on new supplies and then figuring out new ways to store it all in order to have it to be nice to look at more in line with my personality.  I'm not a natural artist...math was my favorite subject in school.  The point of this blog will be to:
  • showcase my creations and I do scrapbook 99.9% of the time based off of sketches.  I will do my best to link to the original sketch when I share something, but if I don't have it readily available (I print them, not so much save them on my computer) I'll at least make note that it WAS a sketch and if there is a watermark, I'll refer to the site where I got it.
  • share my tips and tricks for organizing.
  • share good deals on stuff that excites me.  I started scrapbooking with a class at my local JoAnn's, but in between the classes, I found www.scrapbooksteals.com.  They do weekly sketches and have a great community of women.  It is thanks to them (and specifically the original blogger/photographer Kristy Lee as well as the buyer, who is the current blog organizer, Melodee Cloud who is a very sweet and friendly person) that I jumped in with both feet and never looked back.  For those of you familiar with them (for those of you who aren't, you should check them out...no, I'm not being paid to say that) you know they sell primarily older product at extreme discounts.  This has created a mindset that I can't shake.  I DO NOT PAY FULL RETAIL FOR ANYTHING SCRAPBOOK RELATED!  I have a very select number of exceptions (my kit subscriptions are two of them), but the bulk of my purchases are made by hunting down sales, buying things from groups on facebook, and taking advantage of rewards programs from companies like www.acherryontop.com (this is where I do most of my shopping right now).  I also buy the occasional (maybe not that occasional) warehouse box or grab bag and when I come across those, I will try and post about them.
Those will be the main points of my blog, but at some point, I may also showcase some designs that I've come up of my own.  After much back and forth, I decided to cave and purchase a 1" Tecra Button maker to make my own flair last summer.  This is a come and go venture for me, but as I find a way to balance being a mom with my hobby (I usually have time to design, make and sell flair OR scrapbook, rarely both), I'm hoping to start designing more flair.  If I decide to go down this road, I will likely end up starting a facebook page to use as a selling venue as I am not sure I can handle running an etsy shop on top of everything else going on in my life.

That's pretty much the gist of it for now.  I am sure that if you stick around you will learn plenty more about me, but for now I think I have rambled on long enough.  If you've managed to get this far, thank you for sticking around and please do whatever it is that allows you to follow me!  The more people I have to try and entertain, the better my chances are of keeping this up.

Thanks!

Denise

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging, Denise! Looking forward to seeing what pops up in your entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on starting a blog! Good luck with it! From average_kim from ACOT MB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on starting a blog! Good luck and Have fun! (blbabe1234 from ACOT)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete