Monday, February 17, 2014

Decking The Halls - Layout Share


 
I had the hardest time with this layout.  It doesn't help that I started working on it late at night when I was already tired, but I gave it a go anyway.  Add into that the fact that I bought a little bit of what seems like every Christmas collection released, it became incredibly difficult to narrow down my options.  I had THE hardest time with this layout.  It doesn't help that I started working on it late at night when I was already tired, but I gave it a go anyway.  After sifting through 50 plus papers, I set the ones that I was leaning toward down together and just walked away.  I sat back down today and managed to pull together something that I was happy with.  This layout is a PageMaps sketch from December 2013 (when you click on the link to get to December's sketches, it is the very first one listed). After sifting through 50 plus papers, I set the ones that I was leaning toward down together and just walked away for the night.  I sat back down today and managed to pull together something that I was happy with.

This layout is a PageMaps sketch from December 2013 (when you click on the link to get to December's sketches, it is the very first one listed).

The supplies I used included patterned paper from Simple Stories December Documented, Washi tape from an overseas supplier that I purchase from, enamel dots from MME and Basic Grey, a Maya Road tree paperclip, three pieces of ephemera from the Heidi Swapp Believe Ephemera Pack, October Afternoon alphabet stickers, a flair button from A {flair} for buttons, a label from Chic Tags, an American Crafts date stamp, and an overlay that I think is from Crate Paper, but I'm not 100% sure.  I don't typically do a supply list, but I think that about covers it.  I added in a few close ups just that you are welcome to check out below.

This is quite possibly one of my favorite fonts for a date stamp out there.  Beware that most of them are made to only include winter months since it is a holiday themed date stamp, but I've seen some people say that they have a full calendar year.  Since most of the time I don't use the phrases, I wish mine was the full calendar year, but it is not.  Instead, it is November through February repeated three times.  The washi tape I used here and as a border element on the left hand side of the page is one of my favorite washi tapes, ever.  If I ever go further into detail regarding my washi tape, I'll show you my all time favorite (it made an appearance in my washi storage video if you want to take a guess).


I am really happy with how this cluster turned out.  There were three phrases like this in the ephemera pack and they all start with a hashtag.  I am not a big user of hashtags (in fact, I think I may have only used them once or twice and only for very good reason) so it was perfect that the sketch called for a circular element here, which I used to cover it.  I love how the clip looks, too.  I didn't add a ton of silver, but this helped tie in the silver staples that I used to attach the photo overlay to my photo.


At first, I added the title straight to the layout, but it felt like it was missing something.  I have quite the stash of random Chic Tags tags and labels, and this felt like the perfect opportunity to use one.  I think this may also be the first time breaking into my October Afternoon alpha stash.  I haphazardly trimmed the Silent Night chalkboard alphas that make up the word 'the' down to fit better on the tag.  I really like how the alphas layered together and the pop of blue pulls blue over from the chevron paper in the middle of the page.  The biggest part that was bothering me before adding the label was that the alphas were on an uneven surface since they occupied about the same space before I added it in.

My main goal with this layout, given the number of paper elements that were so heavy on the left hand side of the page was to bring a bit of each color over to the right.  I also added a few pops of black very close to the photo overlay so the overlay wouldn't be the only black you saw.  Originally, I was going to have chalkboard papers from the collection pack play a large role in the layout which was why I opted for the overlay that I used, but I loved the look and still wanted to use it so I did my best to keep it from looking out of sorts when I nixed the chalkboard idea.

And there you have it!  The first layout share of what I hope to be many more to come.  I don't typically go into great detail about what I come up with, so don't expect close ups or explanations all the time...I was just so fed up by the time I finally felt confident in how this was coming together, that I felt like it warranted some explaining.

Thanks for stopping by!

Denise

1 comment: